Handling Financial Strain – Do You Blow or Hide?

When you start a small business it’s easy to get carried away by all your new responsibilities like keeping your customers happy, managing expenses, and building your business. All of this can be very stressful and most small business owners simply ignore the finances and keep on going. But that is not the best way…

Continue Reading →

Write Yourself a Paycheck

Do You Write Yourself a Paycheck?

When you work for an employer, you look forward to payday on a schedule. You may get a paycheck every two weeks or twice a month. The great thing is that you KNOW when that next paycheck is coming. When you own your small business, paydays do not come as consistently. Many sole proprietors ask…

Continue Reading →

Business License

Do You Need a Business License?

Did you know that there are many types of businesses that are strictly regulated and controlled by the government? My mom once had a great idea to start a cooking business out of her home. Needless to say, that didn’t last long when the city inspector heard about it.  It would have been too costly…

Continue Reading →

What is Business Capital?

Business definition for the week: “CAPITAL” Capital = This is money that is going to be invested in a business. For example: “I am starting my business with $5,000 capital” This is your PERSONAL money that you have invested into your small business. When you first opened a business checking account you probably didn’t have…

Continue Reading →